Asian Heritage Society of Manitoba has been informed that during these difficult times of the COVID-19 pandemic there are more Anti-Asian Racist Incidents Reported Per Capita in Canada than US According to First National Report (source: Chinese Canadian National Council – For Social Justice). We are asking Manitoban; filmmakers, actors, social media influencers and the public to make their own 3-5 minute short film with a theme and/or story about experiencing anti-Asian racism, or educates/creates awareness on why racism is not acceptable. The best two films will be awarded $300, there will be two categories, Ages 15-22 and Ages 22 and up. Winners of Anti-Racism Short Film Contest will be featured on Asian Heritage Month of May Film Festival, and on our social media platforms.
RULES AND GUIDELINES
HOW TO ENTER:
- Create a film featuring the theme or/and message that “racism is not acceptable”
- Upload your film to either Youtube, Vimeo, or Facebook, and send us a private or public link
- Complete your Application Form on www.asianhertiagemanitoba.com
- The Application Form and film must be submitted by April 1, 2021.
- Entrants must be residents of Manitoba. There will be two categories: Ages 15-22 and Ages 22 and up, with prizes presented in each category;
- Each film must be 3 – 5 minutes long;
- Each film must be original and not copied from other sources. Any music or clips used in the films must have consent from their owners;
- Each film can be made using a camcorder, cell phone or any other recording device;
- Children under the age of 18 appearing in the film must have consent from their parents/guardians;
- Each film must not contain any graphic or gratuitous violence, verbal abuse or content that attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, and sexual orientation or gender identity;
- The AHS reserves the right to cancel this contest in the event of insufficient participation;
- Please note that materials submitted may not be returned by the AHS; and
- All films meeting the rules and guidelines will be considered. The AHS will judge all eligible entries and choose finalists on the basis of proficiency in form, expression, creativity and content. All levels of film making experience are encouraged!
- By submitting your film to the AHS, you certify that you hold all the necessary rights for the submission and exhibition of this work. You agree that if your film is selected, it may be publicly screened and used by the AHS.
PRIZES AND SCREENING
- A jury will assess the finalists and select prizewinners. The jury’s decision are final and binding;
- Prizes $300.00 per age category; and
- The Asian Heritage Society of Manitoba reserves the right to make final determinations regarding issues not currently addressed in this document.
DEADLINE: Monday, April 1, 2021